Subject: Re: New
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

22 Jun 1998 18:43:42 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked], DarkStorm <[email-masked]>

Hi Chris,

Let me first say read the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the end of this
note.

Since you have plenty of drive space, I would tend to do as you've
suggested.  On installation I would let it take the default for path
names, changing only the drive letter if necessary.  Then move things
to their appropriate places.

After you've moved things, I would then "cd \bin", "bash -c umount /
&& mount -b //d /".  Replace the //d with //<your drive letter>.  You
will not need to worry with mounting anything else as your necessary
directories will all reside under /.

I would be glad to help you privately if you need more help.

---DarkStorm <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Ok, I'm new to this, and basically discoverd the GNU-Win32 Project
due to
> the fact that I'm totally sick of having to duel-boot NT and Linux,
since NT
> is my preferred operating system. (Not to mention the wife hates
Linux,
> hehe)
> Also, the bulk of my software is for NT/Win32 platform.
> But, in order to further my networking knowledge, I started playing
around
> with Slakware, but would rather *not* have to bring my
Web/FTP/Telnet server
> down (which run on my NT server) just to boot into Linux to play
around.
> 
> I have installed the software yet and was looking for some pointers.
> Should I install it to an empt partition? I have over 15 Gigs of HD
space
> available, and could easily clear out a 4 Gig partition to dedicate
for this
> software.
> If so, should I install it to the root directory of the drive, like
you
> would a Unix-based OS? Or should I go with the default of
> <system-drive>:\cygnus\b19 as mentioned in the FAQ?
> I would rather have this system emulate as closely as possible a
Unix-based
> system, so I can really get a feel for it. So, for example, my
native Linux
> OS has the following type of DIR structure:
> /
> /usr
> /bin
> /local
> /etc
>  etc etc etc. You get the idea. I would like this to emulate
something close
> to that. Which is why I ws wondering about where the installation is
best to
> place.
> 
> Thanks for the time. Laters :)
> 
> -Chris W
> 
> 

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/ 
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                        (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".