Subject: Re: diff is broken
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

22 Jun 1998 18:43:32 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Tim Smith <[email-masked]>
Cc: gw32 <[email-masked]>

If you wish to have a version of RCS, diff, patch, and others that
handle the \r\n or \n properly and don't mind that you can't use the
cygwin mounted directory I suggest you take a look at the binaries in
the package named mingw32-sup.1.0.tar.gz I have located at
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/mingw32/porters/Boyd_Earnie/

These binaries are win32 native versions that I ported using mingw32.

---Tim Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I recently noticed my RCS files are bigger than I thought they
should be.
> The problem is that when I check in a revision, it treats is as if I
have
> changed every line.
> 
> For example, here is an extract from rlog for a file that started
out as
> ten line.  In revision 1.2, I inserted a line. In revision 1.3, I
deleted
> that line.
> 
> >revision 1.3
> >date: 1998/06/19 04:05:20;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;  lines: +10 -11
> >*** empty log message ***
> >----------------------------
> >revision 1.2
> >date: 1998/06/19 04:05:14;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;  lines: +11 -10
> >*** empty log message ***
> >----------------------------
> >revision 1.1
> >date: 1998/06/19 04:05:02;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;
> >Initial revision
> 
> The problem is with diff. If I replace the gnu-win32 diff.exe with
diff.exe
> from the PC port of RCS, all is happy.  (I've got a link to the PC
port of
> RCS on my web page at www.halcyon.com/tzs/, along with patches to
get it to
> compile with Watcom C 11.0 or Visual C 5.0, in case anyone wants a
diff to
> replace the gnu-win32 one until it is fixed).  Aside from this, I've
been
> using B19.1 for a month or two now as my command shell for Windows
> development under NT, and it is great.
> 
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix my bloated RCS
files? I
> can write a script to find all the revisions and their dates and
comments
> from the rlog output and then check them all out one at a time and
check
> them in to a new RCS file, but if someone already has something to
do this,
> I'd rather use that than roll my own.
> 
> --Tim Smith
> 

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/ 
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                        (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".