Subject: Re: lseek past EOF doesn't append zeros under Windows 95
From: [email-masked] (David Fox)

20 Jun 1998 21:51:14 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <01BD9C8B.7D1AD6A0@sos>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]> writes:

> David Fox wrote:
> > The documentation for lseek states
> > 
> >        The lseek function allows the file offset to be set beyond
> >        the  end  of the existing end-of-file of the file. If data
> >        is later written at this point, subsequent  reads  of  the
> >        data in the gap return bytes of zeros (until data is actu-
> >        ally written into the gap).
> > 
> > but under Windows 95 the cygwin32 package does not behave this
> > way.  The gap is filled with garbage.  One package that depends
> 
> It's a well-known bug of Windows 95. Cygwin doesn't care about gaps,
> it's the task of underlying OS. The problem doesn't exists on NT.

Not well known enough!  Since Windows 95 is not pretending to comply
with any Unix standards it seems like the task of Cygwin to provide
compliance.  Otherwise Unix software won't run under Cygwin, which I
believe is the whole point of this exercise...
-- 
David Fox	   http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox		xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab   [email-masked]   baL hcraeseR aideM UYN
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".