Subject: Re: remote.tar.gz remote utilites - problems 'inetd?'
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

20 Jun 1998 02:50:16 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <000b01bd9aa4$e524a520$050120c0@menpc5> <Pine.GSO.3.96.980618222044.6585A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@dilbert>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.980618222044.6585A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@dilbert>,
Benoit Papillault <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Jonathan Storey wrote:
>> I know there are some strange and hidden behaviours of connecting
>> stdin/stdout
>> with regards to sockets under Windows etc., but I presume other people are
>> already successfully using this software in it's present form.
>
>I am doing myself a telnetd and some problems like that appears to, but as
>I have done the code, I know that I have no obvious solution. First
>telnetd acts as a "proxy":
>-every character send to telnetd is sent to the shell created by telnetd
>-every character send by the shell is sent to the telnet client.
>
>To have a working shell, I use: bash -i
>The problem is that many programs don't handle echo themselves. But
>normally (under Unix for example), the echo is done by the terminal. This
>is also true in Windows Console. But here, I have no such "tty" layer. And
>no way for a program running under my telnetd to say if he waants an echo
>or not.
>
>I see no way to solve this problem in a proper manner. But, perhaps we can
>use the TELNET option from the client to modify the behavior of the
>telnetd server. 
>
>If someone has a real telnetd (let's say, you can use the Windows ftp
>program under it), please tell us.

Sergey's port of telnetd works exactly like the UNIX telnetd.
The key thing is to follow the directions on his web page *exactly*.
Also, check the archives for answers to other questions that may crop up.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada