Subject: RE: diff is broken
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

20 Jun 1998 00:45:02 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
	boundary="---- =_NextPart_000_01BD9BBF.BF17F3DE"
To: Tim Smith <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD9BBF.BF17F3DE
Content-Type: text/plain

I have a couple of questions.  

Are your mounts binary?  

Does your source editor respect UNIX line termination?  By this I mean,
does your editor use CR/LF on files that previously had only a LF?

Mismatched line termination characters could cause diff to see the files
as completely different.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Smith [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 1998 11:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: diff is broken

I recently noticed my RCS files are bigger than I thought they should
be.
The problem is that when I check in a revision, it treats is as if I
have
changed every line.

For example, here is an extract from rlog for a file that started out as
ten line.  In revision 1.2, I inserted a line. In revision 1.3, I
deleted
that line.

>revision 1.3
>date: 1998/06/19 04:05:20;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;  lines: +10 -11
>*** empty log message ***
>----------------------------
>revision 1.2
>date: 1998/06/19 04:05:14;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;  lines: +11 -10
>*** empty log message ***
>----------------------------
>revision 1.1
>date: 1998/06/19 04:05:02;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;
>Initial revision

The problem is with diff. If I replace the gnu-win32 diff.exe with
diff.exe
from the PC port of RCS, all is happy.  (I've got a link to the PC port
of
RCS on my web page at www.halcyon.com/tzs/, along with patches to get it
to
compile with Watcom C 11.0 or Visual C 5.0, in case anyone wants a diff
to
replace the gnu-win32 one until it is fixed).  Aside from this, I've
been
using B19.1 for a month or two now as my command shell for Windows
development under NT, and it is great.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix my bloated RCS files?
I
can write a script to find all the revisions and their dates and
comments
from the rlog output and then check them all out one at a time and check
them in to a new RCS file, but if someone already has something to do
this,
I'd rather use that than roll my own.

--Tim Smith

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD9BBF.BF17F3DE
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

AJQG

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD9BBF.BF17F3DE--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".