Subject: Re: RCS and cygwinb19
From: [email-masked] (David O'Riva)

19 Jun 1998 23:50:12 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

At 08:07 PM 6/18/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Matthew,
>
>[...]
>>permission problems and a plain ci destroyed one of my source trees.  I
>>had been using the ci/co/rcs from the Cyclic CVS distribution; ci could
>>create new archives, but ci -l would stop with permission errors.
>
>Standard question: Are all your partitions mounted in binary mode ?
>
>>
>>Does anyone have a known, good RCS and diff binary set that they could
>>send me or put up on a FTP site?  I, and my source trees, would
>>appreceiate it.  Thanks.
>
>Don't think it has anything to do with your source package or the
>patches.
>
>>
>>--Matt Donadio ([email-masked])
>
>Bye.
>Michael.
>--

RCS 5.7 has a bug on at least some cygwin builds where it will not work
correctly unless you hack the configure script to force it to use
memory-mapped files.  Until I did this, it would randomly truncate my stored
revision trees to 1024 bytes(!).

It's possible this problem is specific to the compiler distributed with the
B19 release, and doesn't happen under egcs (which I didn't have until after
we got RCS to stop eating files).

I have binaries which have worked just fine here for about 4 months now, but
have no clue how/where to post 'em.  N.B. there are problems with
distributing RCS binaries, since the configure process hard-codes the path
to some utilities into the executable.  Most everyone seems to have their
own favorite architecture (though I'll cast a vote for the FHS), so my
binaries would probably require an extra mount/alias or two to get working.
-dave                                         ________  _______ ____
---------------------------------------------/_ \     \/|  ___ \    \- -
David O'Riva - Staff Programmer                /|  |\  \|  ____/ /\  \
   [email-masked]                            /|  |/  /|  |\/\  \/  /\
 "Hahahahahahahahahaaaa..."                   __|_____o/|__o\ /\____o\ 
         - Lord Deimos                - - ---/________\/____\--/____\-- -

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".