Subject: Dumb questions on directory
From: [email-masked] (William D Kirby)

19 Jun 1998 23:42:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked] Octave-Mailing-List" <[email-masked]>

I have been confused over the directory assignments used by egcs and
octave.

Is there a standard of where compiled programs, support software, and
libraries should go. At times I put libraries in the gnu-win32 lib
directory, and other times they get installed in the /usr/local/lib
directory.

Is there some logic to the directory structure used by gnu-win32?

What is the rationale for programs going into the libexec directory
verses the bin directory?

I would like to have a system directory structure that doesn't require
duplication, and errors in not finding or getting access permissions for
items required.

Thanks

--
William D. Kirby             Voice: (703) 273-0005
Consultant                   Email: [email-masked]
3527 Cornell Road
Fairfax, VA 22030-1813

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".