Subject: diff is broken
From: [email-masked] (Tim Smith)

19 Jun 1998 08:51:21 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: <[email-masked]>

I recently noticed my RCS files are bigger than I thought they should be.
The problem is that when I check in a revision, it treats is as if I have
changed every line.

For example, here is an extract from rlog for a file that started out as
ten line.  In revision 1.2, I inserted a line. In revision 1.3, I deleted
that line.

>revision 1.3
>date: 1998/06/19 04:05:20;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;  lines: +10 -11
>*** empty log message ***
>----------------------------
>revision 1.2
>date: 1998/06/19 04:05:14;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;  lines: +11 -10
>*** empty log message ***
>----------------------------
>revision 1.1
>date: 1998/06/19 04:05:02;  author: tzs;  state: Exp;
>Initial revision

The problem is with diff. If I replace the gnu-win32 diff.exe with diff.exe
from the PC port of RCS, all is happy.  (I've got a link to the PC port of
RCS on my web page at www.halcyon.com/tzs/, along with patches to get it to
compile with Watcom C 11.0 or Visual C 5.0, in case anyone wants a diff to
replace the gnu-win32 one until it is fixed).  Aside from this, I've been
using B19.1 for a month or two now as my command shell for Windows
development under NT, and it is great.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix my bloated RCS files? I
can write a script to find all the revisions and their dates and comments
from the rlog output and then check them all out one at a time and check
them in to a new RCS file, but if someone already has something to do this,
I'd rather use that than roll my own.

--Tim Smith

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".