Subject: Re: remote.tar.gz remote utilites - problems 'inetd?'
From: [email-masked] (Benoit Papillault)

19 Jun 1998 05:10:10 -0700
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.96.980618222044.6585A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@dilbert>
References: <000b01bd9aa4$e524a520$050120c0@menpc5>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Jonathan Storey <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Jonathan Storey wrote:

> I know there are some strange and hidden behaviours of connecting
> stdin/stdout
> with regards to sockets under Windows etc., but I presume other people are
> already successfully using this software in it's present form.

I am doing myself a telnetd and some problems like that appears to, but as
I have done the code, I know that I have no obvious solution. First
telnetd acts as a "proxy":
-every character send to telnetd is sent to the shell created by telnetd
-every character send by the shell is sent to the telnet client.

To have a working shell, I use: bash -i
The problem is that many programs don't handle echo themselves. But
normally (under Unix for example), the echo is done by the terminal. This
is also true in Windows Console. But here, I have no such "tty" layer. And
no way for a program running under my telnetd to say if he waants an echo
or not.

I see no way to solve this problem in a proper manner. But, perhaps we can
use the TELNET option from the client to modify the behavior of the
telnetd server. 

If someone has a real telnetd (let's say, you can use the Windows ftp
program under it), please tell us.

Benoit Papillault

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".