Subject: Re: True "native" NT ports of GNU stuff?
From: [email-masked] (raf)

18 Jun 1998 06:44:11 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Michael wrote:

>Hi Kurt,

>You wrote:

>>I need a native NT port of gnumake, sh and the fileutils
>>(I don't need GCC, just make, sh and fileutils) that does
>>not use the cygwin.dll.  I have not been able to find any
>>native NT gnu ports on the web.  Can someone point me in
>>the right direction?
>A set of native Win32 UN*X like shell commands is available from the
>Virtually UN*X! page on http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/.
>A native Win32 GNU make can be built from the official sources using
>MSVC++. make and binutils are also included in Jan Jaaps Mingw32-gcc
>distribution on
>http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/.

>A native Win32 sh is a real problem. There's a port of csh on
>http://www.hamiltonlabs.com/ which unfortunately is payware.
>An alpha version of a bash 1.4 port is available from
>ftp://ftp.cc.utexas.edu/microlib/nt/gnu, although the author has
>stopped development in favour of cygwin32. :-(

>Another payware project is Mortice Kern Systems' MKS Toolkit
>(http://www.mks.com/) which however (as far as I know) doesn't include
>any shell.

>At the moment *I* am using Jan Jaaps gcc, make and binutils, Virtual
>UN*X's file utils and 4NT as shell. It works quite well although you
>can't do any real shell scripts.

i have an nt bash on a floppy somewhere from long ago.
i think it's version 1.something. it either freeware
or shareware. i did come across it the other day when
i was scrounging for floppies (ominous background music)
i could look for it.

hang on. altavista search: "bash_nt" returns a lot of references to
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/winnt/bash_nt-1.14.2/ but that
directory only contains the following README:

>My port of bash that previously resided in this directory has been superseded
>by a far more recent and complete port of bash and many other GNU tools.
>This port is available at `ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/'.

>Paul Budnik
>Mountain Math Software
>[email-masked], http://www.mtnmath.com

that's the one i think i have. dyastillwannit?
if i don't have it, you could ask Paul Budnik.

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".