Subject: RE: Question concerning configure scripts
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

18 Jun 1998 01:15:42 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
	boundary="---- =_NextPart_000_01BD9A27.2B83948C"
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD9A27.2B83948C
Content-Type: text/plain

I have had this problem with some configure scripts as well.  The exact
nature of the problem was that the system was trying to stat()
/dev/null.  Which does not actually exist.  My solution was to use the
standard command prompt to create an almost empty file.

On my machine E:\Unix is mounted as root, "/". So I did the following:
	e:
	cd \unix
	mkdir dev
	echo.>dev\null

Using the period immediately following "echo" cause echo to output an
empty line.  This gives a two-byte, CR/LF, /dev/null file that can be
stat'ed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Stockdale [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 8:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Question concerning configure scripts

I asked this question before, but received no response.  Has anyone 
else experienced problems with the use of /dev/null in configure 
scripts?  In particular I find I have problems with gcc -E commands 
if the STDERR is piped to /dev/null.  I work around it by changing 
/dev/null to a junk file, which allows me to proceed.  Anyone have 
any ideas?
Alexander Stockdale

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD9A27.2B83948C
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD9A27.2B83948C--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".