Subject: telnet and samba shares
From: [email-masked] (Andreas Haleger)

17 Jun 1998 21:39:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0 (NeXT Mail 4.1mach v148)
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

Hi,
this question has been asked before in some manner, but extensive search  
through the archive didn't show results, so once more:

It took me four days between having heard the first time of cygwin32 and  
having successfully installed cdk, remote.tar.gz and having logged in via  
telnet (is it me or is windows really such a pain?).

Configuration: Windows NT4.0 Workstation, Cygwin32 B19.1, inetd configured  
as service for user CSP_NT\aha. CSP_NT is our NT-domain. /h is a network  
drive running samba 1.9.18p3 user level security on SCO Unix Openserver 5.

mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
h:               /h                  native      text!=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      text!=binary
c:               /c                  native      text!=binary
c:\unix          /                   native      text!=binary

The problem: When logged in locally I can access /h. When telneting in cd /h gives:
	bash: cd: /h: Permission denied

In Windows I am logged in as NT31\aha, i.e. locally. Else, I can't access  
the network drive, either and do not know why. Maybe that is the problem.

I am using CSP_NT\aha for inetd because one of the articles in the archive  
stated the user has to be a network user in order to access network drives.  
Hmm, got it right?

Another network drive is //m. This share is on the domain controller for  
CSP_NT. It is a NT 3.51 server. cd //m works! So it really seems to be a  
problem with samba ...

Another thing I do not understand: It does not matter what the user of  
telnet in inetd.conf is (aha, root, something, ...). I can always log in and  
nothing changes.

Thanks for any ideas,

Andreas Haleger

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".