Subject: Re: True "native" NT ports of GNU stuff?
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

17 Jun 1998 20:08:53 -0700
Message-ID: <35877bdc.540156.cygnus.gnu-win32@mail>
References: <9806152037.AA00338@black_guard>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Kurt Stephens <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Kurt,

You wrote:

>I need a native NT port of gnumake, sh and the fileutils
>(I don't need GCC, just make, sh and fileutils) that does
>not use the cygwin.dll.  I have not been able to find any
>native NT gnu ports on the web.  Can someone point me in
>the right direction?
A set of native Win32 UN*X like shell commands is available from the
Virtually UN*X! page on http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/.
A native Win32 GNU make can be built from the official sources using
MSVC++. make and binutils are also included in Jan Jaaps Mingw32-gcc
distribution on
http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/.

A native Win32 sh is a real problem. There's a port of csh on
http://www.hamiltonlabs.com/ which unfortunately is payware.
An alpha version of a bash 1.4 port is available from
ftp://ftp.cc.utexas.edu/microlib/nt/gnu, although the author has
stopped development in favour of cygwin32. :-(

Another payware project is Mortice Kern Systems' MKS Toolkit
(http://www.mks.com/) which however (as far as I know) doesn't include
any shell.

At the moment *I* am using Jan Jaaps gcc, make and binutils, Virtual
UN*X's file utils and 4NT as shell. It works quite well although you
can't do any real shell scripts.

Hope that helps. :)

bye

Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".