Subject: Re: Newbie Questions / Win 95
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

17 Jun 1998 02:17:33 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Mike Bandy <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---Mike Bandy <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hello,

Hi Mike,

> 
> I'm a brand new Cygnus 19 Beta user on Windows 95.  I have a couple 
> simple questions:
> 
> 1) What's the use for the "mount" command?  Why is it needed? 

The mount command is similar in nature to the mount command in UNIX. 
It creates a relative path to a physical path (these are only
understood by cygwin compiled programs).  One of the first uses will
be to do: 

mount -b //c/cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /bin
mount -b //c/cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/etc /etc
cd /bin
umount /
mount -b //c /
mount -b //c /c
mount -b //d /d
mount -b //? /? (where ? is to be replaced by any other disk).

NOTE: don't do any other command between the umount / and the first
mount.

> 
> 2) What's the name of the bash file that's executed when you first
start up a
> bash window?  What directory does it go into?  I'd like to put in a
file with
> some aliases, like my Solaris box's ~/.cshrc.  Where is the bash FAQ
file so
> I don't have to ask simple questions again? 

The file name is ~/.bashrc, you will need to SET HOME=<path to
..bashrc> from DOS or within the cygnus.bat file before starting bash. 
For the documentation, it is in info format in the cdk-man.tar.gz file.

> 
> 3) After installing Cygnus my Windows 95 boot sequence hangs for
about 30
> seconds just before the user screen appears (i.e. a black screen
after the
> big splash panel but before the screen with the "Start" button on
it). 
> What's it waiting for? 

I haven't heard this one yet.  Does anyone else remember anything on
this one?  My guess would be some registry bit for network services;
but, I really don't have a clue.  I know that nothing is added to the
"Start Up" folder.

At first, I thought you were talking about the starting of bash, but
then I realized that you're saying that installing the CDK has changed
the way the system starts.

> 
> Thanks.

You are welcome.  Be sure to read the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the
end of this note.

> 
> 	Mike
> --
> Mike Bandy
> [email-masked]    |  If you go into a situation with nothing
> Johns Hopkins University    |  planned, sometimes wonderful stuff
happens.
> Applied Physics Laboratory  |   -Jerry Garcia
> 

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/ 
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                        (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".