Subject: FW: Strange problem with XEmacs ./configure
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Paulsen)

16 Jun 1998 04:57:40 -0700
Message-ID: <BB19A85E3397D11190EA00805F57038777B8.cygnus.gnu-win32@PDX1NT02>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

Stil haven't gotten any help on this... It's as if all of the variables
in all of my shell scripts are always empty... and there's something
else going on.

I really have no idea what might be causing this, as it persists even
after reinstalling CygWin.

This is what I get:

/usr/src/xemacs-21.0-b42$ ./configure
: Usage error:
  The directory specified with the `--srcdir' option,
', doesn't seem to contain the XEmacs sources.  You should
' script at the top of the XEmacs source
  tree, or use the `--srcdir' option to specify the XEmacs source
directory.
 --help' to show usage.

The configure script should not produce output like this; this is the
relevant section of it.

   if test ! -f "$srcdir/src/lisp.h" -o \
    ! -f "$srcdir/lisp/version.el" ; then
     (echo "$progname: Usage error:"
echo " " "The directory specified with the \`--srcdir' option,
  \`$srcdir', doesn't seem to contain the XEmacs sources.  You should
  either run the \`$progname' script at the top of the XEmacs source
  tree, or use the \`--srcdir' option to specify the XEmacs source
directory."
echo "  Use \`$progname --help' to show usage.") >&2 && exit 1

As you can see, lines containing variables lose when passed to echo.

I have reinstalled both the XEmacs source and Cygwin b19.2; here is a
uname -a

	/usr/src/xemacs-21.0-b42$ uname -a
	CYGWIN32_95 JEFF-PAULSEN 4.0 19.2 i586 unknown

Anyone have ANY idea what this is about?

--
Jeff Paulsen
[email-masked] 
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".