Subject: Re: A stupid question + some others
From: [email-masked]

16 Jun 1998 02:34:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

In his message, John Meyer wrote :

> Hi, I know that this may sound like a stupid question, but what is 
the
> difference between C and C++?

Not a stupid question, indeed. C++ can be considered as an evolution 
of C where object-oriented concepts have been introduced. Those 
concepts can also be found by example in Smalltalk, ADA or JAVA 
languages. If you're not familiar with object-oriented methodologies 
and languages, please consider buying relevant books describing 
methods such as OMT or UML and languages such as C++ in your 
case. There are hundreds and it's forth reading.

And now my contribution to the numerous questions of this 
mailing-list :

Because I'm working in the embedded systems field, we are often 
short of ressources (RAM and ROM) and sometimes of relevant compilers 
for C++. In that direction, I started to write my own C++ to ANSI C 
converter, limiting myself to basic features (no templates for 
instance). Does anybody have experience on this topic or know where I 
could get sources of such a tool ?

And a last one :

I designed once a custom language compiler and made it run on Sun 
Solaris stations. I have successfully compiled it using GNU-WIN32 
Beta 19.1 but when I start the executable with a huge input file, it 
crashes with a STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION message and I cannot clearly 
identify which line is causing the problem under GDB. This is not 
occurring under Sun/Solaris. Since my compiler is using intensively 
recursion, I expect stack size to be exceeded. I looked desesperatly 
in the documentation but it seems that there's no stack size 
adjustement option. How to deal with stack size adjustement and how 
to know if my problem comes or not from there ? Please help !

Many thanks,

Philippe Spozio
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".