Subject: mmsystem.dll corrupt when running a program compiling with mmsystem.{h,dll}
From: [email-masked] (Curtis L. Olson)

14 Jun 1998 12:05:43 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I'm trying to build some code with the cygnus/egcs compiler that
requires mmsystem.h and mmsystem.dll

I grabbed a copy of mmsystem.h from the Twin source: 

    http://www.winehq.com/Twin/

I then grabbed a copy of mmsystem.dll from my win95 machine.

impdef wouldn't generate a list of functions from the DLL because my
mmsystem.dll wasn't a "PE" archive (or something to that effect.)

So I went ahead and created a mmsystem.def file based on just the
handfull of calls that I use in my software, ignoring all the rest.

Then, to create the libmmsystem.a I ran:

    dlltool -k --def mmsystem.def --output-exp mmsystem.exp \
        --output-lib libmmsystem.a --dllname mmsystem.dll

This all seemed to happily work, and created the libmmsystem.a.  With
this I was able to compile and link my C/C++ code and produce an
executable.

However, when I try to run the executable on the same system where my
mmsystem.dll originated, I get a message saying my "mmsystem.dll is
corrupt and should be reinstalled."

I probably don't understand all the subtleties of dlltool and linking
to dll's in win95, but I have gotten this same basic procedure to work
with glut/glu/opengl.

Has anyone been down this road before with any success?

Thanks,

Curt.
-- 
Curtis Olson                        University of MN, ME Dept.
[email-masked]                     
http://www.menet.umn.edu/~curt      Try Linux!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".