Subject: Re: No rsh on NT?! (was Re: Yes! A _new_ inetd problem!)
From: [email-masked] (Todd P. Whitesel)

14 Jun 1998 08:36:23 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Andy Mortimer <[email-masked]> writes:

>Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Todd P. Whitesel wrote:

>> > rlogind consistently causes my solaris rlogin to print "Connection
>> > closed.", and dumps core ("in.rlogind.exe.core") into inetd's
>> > working directory.
>> 
>> Neither rlogind, nor rshd shouldn't work because authentication method is 
>> not compatible with NT's security model.

>So, is there any way I can remotely execute commands on an NT box from
>a script on a UNIX box? I can't think of another way -- at least, not
>without hardcoding my password :-( -- but some of you might be able to
>do better.

Would a cheap 'rexec' server be good enough? I've got plenty of pre-fabbed
socket code lying around from prior projects. It wouldn't take long to write
a program that sits on a TCP port, reads the argv from each incoming
connection, and does a fork/exec to run the command.

Clearly non-optimal for cygwin, but it gets the job done. In my case that
means connecting to my office network from home, and getting my PC to start
a cygwin xterm with the display set to my home machine.

Dunno what is required to make it suitable for use as an NT service though.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ ugcs.caltech.edu
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".