Subject: bash pausing and text v binary mounting
From: [email-masked] (Robin Crampton)

12 Jun 1998 14:48:17 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

From the FAQ:

Long pause occurs randomly in bash
===========================

   It has been reported that bash will hang for several seconds upon
occasion.  We are looking into this problem.  It does not seem to occur
when bash is started under a command prompt.  Reportedly, if you
specify the 'Start in' directory in the shortcut, the problem goes away.

Any progress?  To get a "Start in" text box I need to create a shortcut   
to bash.exe rather than cygnus.bat.  I don't want to do this because it   
means setting a longer path in autoexec.bat (to include the cygnus   
stuff).
Also, bash always pauses for a few seconds after executing the last line   
of my .bash_login, whether started from the desktop shortcut or from a   
DOS box.

More from the FAQ:

   The '-b' option mounts in binary mode.

   If you want to put the release onto a drive that's not drive 'C',
then you *have* to use the `mount' command if you want to make progress.

   Eg, assume that you've installed the tree into `f:/fish', so that
the binaries live in `f:/fish/bin' etc.
     $ mount f:/fish /usr
   This means that when you type `ls /usr/bin', cygwin.dll will look in
`f:/fish/bin'.

Well, I installed in d:\cygwin32, so I did the mount.  Everything works.   
 But what's the difference between text and binary mounting?

Thanks.  GNU-Win32.  Now I can finish my waveform sequencer without   
hacking around with DJGPP and device drivers...  

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".