Subject: Re: Escape sequences
From: [email-masked]

11 Jun 1998 08:12:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>   Benoit Papillault ([email-masked])
>   Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:13:36 -0500 (CDT)
>       
>On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> But, I don't think that you are going far enough.  I don't see why the
>> cygnus terminal should be grafted onto the Microsoft Dos console window,
>> with all of its known and documented limitations.  I did a demonstration
>> project on this subject, involving porting the Unix slrn news reader to
>> a homegrown Dos stdio library.  (The latest compressed executable should
>> still be found in the Usenet `alt.binaries.news-server-comparison' news
>> group, and will run on all versions of Windows from W3.x and up to the
>> latest NT.)
>>
>> That homegrown Dos window has the advantage of being a `true' Windows
>> application, which means it can be subclassed, and it can use, e. g.,
>> asynchronous winsocket calls.  It is a trivial job to add the other Dos
>> window functionality, such as copy-and-paste and font selection, to this
>> window.  And, it still is possible to launch `Dos' applications from the
>> window, which naturally execute in the Microsoft console.
>
>Do you mean that you have made a replacement to that "unresizable" DOS
>Windows? Really! I am interested in , could you give us an ftp or http
>location where I can find you work? (never head about
>alt.binaries.news-server-comparison, my news server neither....)

Que c'est epatant.  You mention the `unresizable' Dos window, when 
everyone knows that the Microsoft Dos console is resizable.  The
Dos window I put out on the internet does not include font and sizing
selection, hence is _presently_ not resizable.  The point made by this
demonstration is that adding the Microsoft toolbar with copy-and-paste
and resizing is trivial.  Resizing is not the issue that was discussed,
M. Papillaut, as you ought to realize.  The issue was subclassing and
use of certain library calls in, e. g., the winsocket library, which
are not permitted on the Microsoft console.

Je regrette enormement that you have never heard about the news group
above.  Obviously, you need to change internet providers, or request
an improved group list from your ISP.
>
>Benoit Papillault

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".