Subject: A few guidelines for 'Making' Kaffe using Cygnus.
From: [email-masked] (Sai Ganesamoorthi)

11 Jun 1998 08:12:06 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked], [email-masked] (Dwight Jennings)

    We have been trying to 'make' Kaffe in Cygnus for a i386-WindowsNT host. We
spent quite some time to get it done, though we did not expect/intend to do so
for a simple task. Well, the task did not turn out to be simple as we expected
it to be. We thought it would be a good idea to summarize how we finally got it
working because the very looks of the mails in the mail archive points to the
fact that many are having problems. We hope that this would serve as a
guide/resource material for those who wish to 'make' to a specific target.
    One of the first problems that one would get is that of errors saying
"Redefnition of ----". If you get this error then you need to work your way into
the source files and find out where it is declared first and do some
commenting/uncommenting wherever required. That should solve it.
    There were quite a few errors in the archive that talked about an error
"Exception Trapped". We did get this error and were stumped for quite some time.
We took care of few errors, warnings and the weird message did not come up
again.
    Missing Library X11 was another error that took us quite sometime to figure
out. You need to download the compiler source tools also, configure, make it to
generate the required library libX11.a. Sometimes an implicit call to the
library '-lX11' would not work. Just include the actual name of the library with
the path and it should work fine.
    You might get an error of undefined reference to a set of Math functions
such as java_math_biginteger_plumbAdd,..etc. This happens when you don't have
the GNU Multiple Percision Library. The GMP can be downloaded from
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu. You also need the Compression Library which contains
files such as Zlib.h to get rid of a few other undefined references. Include
libraries libwsock32.a, libz.a and libgmp.a to your list of included archive
files.
    Guess this would serve as a good reference for those who wish to 'make'
Kaffe.

-Sai Ganesamoorthi.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".