Subject: Re: "Too many open files", any way to achieve ulimit -n?
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

10 Jun 1998 18:09:35 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <13693.53758.616000.258854.cygnus.gnu-win32@GUMBLE>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <13693.53758.616000.258854.cygnus.gnu-win32@GUMBLE>,
Paul English <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have an issue with some perl scripts, and occassionally some links,
>which terminate with a "Too many open files" message when running
>under bash (bash 2.01.1(2) on Cygwin32 19.1 under Windows NT 4.0 SP3).
>This only happens on a filesystem which is exported by Samba from a
>Solaris server.
>
>Our MIS department have suggested increasing the maximum number of
>file descriptors which can be open, i.e. ulimit -n 256.  Unfortunately
>ulimit -n seems to be fixed at 32.  Is there any way of increasing
>this limit?  I'd even consider building bash from source if
>necessary.

Cygwin32 b19 does not have a fixed limit for opened files.  Are you
using a cygwin version of perl?  If not, perhaps that is the problem.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada