Subject: Re: Escape sequences
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

9 Jun 1998 13:55:58 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>   Christopher G. Faylor ([email-masked])
>>   6 Jun 1998 17:16:10 GMT
>>In article
>> <6EE807C60AFCD111995100805F57E9C001750A.cygnus.gnu-win32@CSC_MS_01>,
>>Daniel Tessier  wrote:
>>>In the Readme.txt file that comes with B19, I found the following
>>>excerpt:
>>>"Additional terminal escape sequences recognized: scroll region setting
>>>via [n1;n2r and setting the console title using xterm escape
>>>sequence: [2;new title^G ."
>>>
>>>Does this work only for xterms, or can I use it to set the window title
>>>of the console in which I run bash. If it is possible, how do I do it? I
>>>tried echoing that escape sequence to no avail. I am using Windows NT4
>>>w/SP3, and B19.1.
>>>
>>
>>That's my fault.  It's a bug in the documentation.  The character following
>>the  should be a ] not a [.
>>--
>I think it's really great that you are working on cleaning up the linux
>terminal emulation in the cygnus terminal.  I assume that includes fixing
>the monochrome-clearscreen problem that I wrote about last month.
>
>But, I don't think that you are going far enough.  I don't see why the
>cygnus terminal should be grafted onto the Microsoft Dos console window,
>with all of its known and documented limitations.  I did a demonstration
>project on this subject, involving porting the Unix slrn news reader to
>a homegrown Dos stdio library.  (The latest compressed executable should
>still be found in the Usenet `alt.binaries.news-server-comparison' news
>group, and will run on all versions of Windows from W3.x and up to the
>latest NT.)
>
>That homegrown Dos window has the advantage of being a `true' Windows
>application, which means it can be subclassed, and it can use, e. g.,
>asynchronous winsocket calls.  It is a trivial job to add the other Dos
>window functionality, such as copy-and-paste and font selection, to this
>window.  And, it still is possible to launch `Dos' applications from the
>window, which naturally execute in the Microsoft console.
>
>What I am getting at is that I believe that cygnus `bash' ought to come
>up in its own xterm window, which is a `true' Windows window, and not a
>Unix emulation layer grafted onto the Microsoft console.

It's not a bad idea, but it is a lot of work and it is work which moves
in a direction that has little to do with the requirements that Cygnus
has for Cygwin32, unfortunately.

I'm frequently frustrated by the limitations of the console window and
would welcome any improvements anyone has to offer.  I know that there
is a reimplementation of the console window rewritten to use 'true'
Windows calls out there somewhere.  Possibly all that would be required
to use it would be to link cygwin with that library.  If anyone wants
to check this out, I'd very interested in hearing the results.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada