Subject: Re: Escape sequences
From: [email-masked]

9 Jun 1998 02:13:51 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>   Christopher G. Faylor ([email-masked])
>   6 Jun 1998 17:16:10 GMT
>   
>       
>In article
> <6EE807C60AFCD111995100805F57E9C001750A.cygnus.gnu-win32@CSC_MS_01>,
>Daniel Tessier  wrote:
>>In the Readme.txt file that comes with B19, I found the following
>>excerpt:
>>"Additional terminal escape sequences recognized: scroll region setting
>>via [n1;n2r and setting the console title using xterm escape
>>sequence: [2;new title^G ."
>>
>>Does this work only for xterms, or can I use it to set the window title
>>of the console in which I run bash. If it is possible, how do I do it? I
>>tried echoing that escape sequence to no avail. I am using Windows NT4
>>w/SP3, and B19.1.
>>
>
>That's my fault.  It's a bug in the documentation.  The character following
>the  should be a ] not a [.
>--
I think it's really great that you are working on cleaning up the linux
terminal emulation in the cygnus terminal.  I assume that includes fixing
the monochrome-clearscreen problem that I wrote about last month.

But, I don't think that you are going far enough.  I don't see why the
cygnus terminal should be grafted onto the Microsoft Dos console window,
with all of its known and documented limitations.  I did a demonstration
project on this subject, involving porting the Unix slrn news reader to
a homegrown Dos stdio library.  (The latest compressed executable should
still be found in the Usenet `alt.binaries.news-server-comparison' news
group, and will run on all versions of Windows from W3.x and up to the
latest NT.)

That homegrown Dos window has the advantage of being a `true' Windows
application, which means it can be subclassed, and it can use, e. g.,
asynchronous winsocket calls.  It is a trivial job to add the other Dos
window functionality, such as copy-and-paste and font selection, to this
window.  And, it still is possible to launch `Dos' applications from the
window, which naturally execute in the Microsoft console.

What I am getting at is that I believe that cygnus `bash' ought to come
up in its own xterm window, which is a `true' Windows window, and not a
Unix emulation layer grafted onto the Microsoft console.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".