Subject: exception from "ld"
From: [email-masked] (Olly Stephens)

7 Jun 1998 00:52:22 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Multipart/Mixed; boundary=Message-Boundary-25313
To: [email-masked]

--Message-Boundary-25313
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
Content-description: Mail message body

I'm using cygwin 19.1, without any additional patches

I'm attempting to link a very large program and I get an exception 
from ld:

(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1038)
Exception: STATUS_ ACCESS_VIOLATION
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1038) Dumping
stack trace to ld.exe.core

(I've attached ld.exe.core in case it is of use)

Could it be that it doesn't have enough heap/stack size?
If so, is there anyway to increase it without recompiling (I don't 
currently have the cygwin sources)

I tried looking at it under gdb but it doesn't have any names so I 
guess it wasn't compiled with -g.

Can anyone help?

If I need to build a debug version, can I just build that (binutils?) 
or do I need the complete source version of cygwin?

I read in the FAQ about using link.exe instead of ld.exe.  Does 
anyone have a recipe for doing this?

Thanks,

Olly Stephens

--Message-Boundary-25313
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
Content-description: Text from file 'ld.exe.core'

(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) Exception trapped!
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) exception C0000005 at 424E41
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) exception: ax 424E38 bx 2B8FB00 cx 2F1EB5C dx 42F6B0
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) exception: si 2B8E560 di 2B170EC bp 244F374 sp 244F320
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) Stack trace:
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 0: sp = 0x244F04C, pc = 0x1000A250
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 1: sp = 0x244F170, pc = 0x77F94512
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 2: sp = 0x244F194, pc = 0x77F88EEB
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 3: sp = 0x244F220, pc = 0x77F76266
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 4: sp = 0x244F374, pc = 0x4363E1
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 5: sp = 0x244F3C4, pc = 0x4181A0
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 6: sp = 0x244F50C, pc = 0x4184CF
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 7: sp = 0x244F520, pc = 0x414D52
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 8: sp = 0x244F544, pc = 0x4206F0
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 9: sp = 0x244F58C, pc = 0x436BB4
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 10: sp = 0x244F618, pc = 0x4367D3
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 11: sp = 0x244F630, pc = 0x436793
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 12: sp = 0x244F640, pc = 0x40FFD0
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 13: sp = 0x244F660, pc = 0x4104A7
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 14: sp = 0x244F68C, pc = 0x4123D7
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) frame 15: sp = 0x244F6A4, pc = 0x4141A6
(C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe 1043) End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

--Message-Boundary-25313--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".