Subject: (none)
From: [email-masked] (A. Tsiolakidis)

6 Jun 1998 22:29:47 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text

Hi,

I am running NT4/SP3 and B19.1. A while ago I was looking for glob.c.
Apparently, it is not needed/included since globbing (file name expansion)
automatically happens to
the arguments of the programs I compile, even when I call the programs with
quotes " " around the arguments. This is rather disturbing; is there any way to
disable filename expansion?

The other problem is more serious: I have a large directory structure, which
I was trying to ls,tar,wc and other things. While "ls */*/*/*" would do what
expected under the DOS prompt, with bash2.01 it would stop somewhere in the
middle of the files it was supposed to list, apparently because of limited
heap size or something (but without complaining about anything - it would
just stop). Anyone knows if that could change somehow? (this is
particularly worrysome, in conjuction with the obligatory globbing - I
haven't tested to see if globbing in my programs would go all the way or
have similar limitations).
So, since I wanted to process all these */*/*/* files, I first put their
names in a file under DOS "ls */*/*/* > files.txt", and then started bash
for a "for" loop:
for i in `cat files.txt`
do
	wc -c $i
	cp $i backup/$i
done

This started leaking memory badly: to copy about 2000 files of a total size
of 5MB, I had to reboot my 96MB RAM machine several times. When monitoring
memory usage, I saw that the memory leaks were gradual (perhaps 1MB every 3
files), but there were also 20MB jumps. At first I thought that it was "cp"
or "wc" leaking, but there might be a connection with the other side-effects
of bash I mentioned previously. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tasos T.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".