Subject: Re: WIN32on UNIX?
From: [email-masked] (Tadeusz Liszka)

6 Jun 1998 20:16:49 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
......
> 
> 3. You mention the Citrix and Microsoft distributed NT products, have you had a
> look at:
>      WinDD - Tektronix
>      Wincentre Pro - NCD
>      NTrigue - Insignia
......
We used WinDD for about two years and it works great. I was surprised
when I compiled OpenGL application and fired on our WinDD server and it
worked !! (of course it was in software, transmitting 16 color dithered
bitmaps across the net, but still). The only gotcha is that that it is
only for NT3.51. It will not be (ever - we got official confirmation)
upgraded to NT4 and beyond. As far as I remember rumors: it is standard
M$ technique - they considered it counter productive to support Unix so
bought Cytrix and grounded development. Lets hope it is only rumor...

> 
> 4.  Finally, I'm sure I remember a GNU-type project that was going to mirror
> the Win-32 API to Unix, the same
> way that Lesstif echo's Motif. Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly where it
> was, I do remember that it was
> distinct from Gnu-win32.

Search for Bristol. it is a commercial product, which implements full
Win32 API and MFC on Unix. Most windows codes using MFC and OpenGL
compile off the box.

......
-- 
+------------------------------+----------------------------+---------+
|Tadeusz J. Liszka PhD.        |Computational Mechanics Co. |`.\`.    |
|phone: (512)467-0618 ext 526  | http://www.comco.com       |  .\ `.  |
|fax:  467-1382;  7800 Shoal Creek #290E, Austin, TX, 78757 |  . \  `.|
+------------------------------+----------------------------+---------+
|Obligatory disclaimer:        |Obligatory cool quote:                |
| These opinions are my own,   | The public opinion should be really  |
| I sometimes agree with them, | alarmed by its own nonexistence      |
| no one else has to.          |     Stanislaw Jerzy Lec, transl. TJL |
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".