Subject: Re: WIN32on UNIX?
From: [email-masked]

5 Jun 1998 16:30:54 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: MULTIPART/MIXED; BOUNDARY="Boundary_(ID_1B4NA109A3lYGANgqRhoQA)"
To: [email-masked]

--Boundary_(ID_1B4NA109A3lYGANgqRhoQA)
Content-type: TEXT/PLAIN

[email-masked] wrote:
# My question is if there is a way to allow a UNIX desktop to act as a
# full WIN32 client, i.e. receive the API calls from the Windows
# application server and execute them locally. Any information, thoughts
# or speculations are appreciated!

Hi, 

I've read your posting and a number of possible approaches strike me.

1. How about using one of these development frameworks, like Zinc or something
similar. I'm assuming that the biggest problem with the application will be the 
GUI.

2. Look at the WABI product, (used to be from SunSoft, I think it's been moved 
to 
Caldera now). This allows UNIX-X11 boxes to emulate Windoze, similar to 
Insignia's
SoftWindows & SoftWindows95 products. Slightly amusing story - an ex-colleague 
of
mine did some testing, Slackware Linux + WABI v's genuine Win3.11 on the same 
hardware.
Result, the Linux/WABI combination was between 2-10% faster than the genuine 
article running
MS-Office applications!

3. You mention the Citrix and Microsoft distributed NT products, have you had a 
look at:
     WinDD - Tektronix
     Wincentre Pro - NCD
     NTrigue - Insignia
I can DEFINITELY recommend the last one, NT 3.51 on everything. I've had it 
running on
Silicon Graphics, Sun and Digital Unix workstations. It works pretty well from 
Win3.1/95 boxes. Oh,
and if you've got something wierd, you can even run via Netscape, (it can be a 
Java app). IMHO NTrigue
is a more complete product than Winframe (upon which it is based), and it's a 
country mile better than
Terminal Server.

4.  Finally, I'm sure I remember a GNU-type project that was going to mirror 
the Win-32 API to Unix, the same
way that Lesstif echo's Motif. Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly where it 
was, I do remember that it was
distinct from Gnu-win32.

Hope this helps.

Bob Cross
e-mail: robert.cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk   (I keep getting spammed, 
hence the munged e-mail address - sorry)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are the authors own, unless otherwise stated.

--Boundary_(ID_1B4NA109A3lYGANgqRhoQA)--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".