Subject: How to add PE files support to gdb!
From: [email-masked] (Benoit Papillault)

4 Jun 1998 17:38:32 -0700
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.96.980604024227.7088B-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@parakeet>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

gdb is a great tool, even under Windows. But apparenlty, it does not
understand PE files format (I mean I can't get the names of functions from
DLL). Apparently, gdb just uses its own format generating by gcc (which is
sufficient for most debugging sessions). But I am interested in tracing
step by step into dlls. I have know how to decode all the information I
want, I know that I can get the name of DLLs when they are loaded and I
want to add all that stuff to gdb (because gdb is a great debugger and I
don't want to spend time to do yet another debugger). How I can "extend"
gdb ? I have the gdb source code, but I understand nothing right now!

Other related stuff: It is really interesting to stop a program just by
pressing Ctrl-C, see where the program is and just continue. But under
Windows, as there is not signal mechanism, and that you only receive the
Control-C when you read it, we can't do that? However, is there a way to
tell gdb to stop the application at any time? I don't know how signal
handling is done under GNUwin32, but perhaps we can trigger a signal from
a thread waiting for "the external event of interest"?

Another question: Apparently, there is no way (and I have done a very
litle debugger before, so I know the problem doesn't come from gdb) to
exit the debugger without exiting an attached applications? 

	Benoit Papillault

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".