Subject: B19: Dialog Boxes?
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Donham)

4 Jun 1998 11:13:17 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi all,
   There's got to be a FAQ about this somewhere -- Could someone please
send
it my way.  I was unable to locate any information in the GNU-Win32 FAQ.

Vital Statistics:
    Machine: Gateway Solo 9100LS running NT 4.0 with Server Pack 3.0
   GNU-Win32 version: B19 (no Mingw32 installed unless it was buried in
the
                                                 GNU-Win32 distribution)

I am trying to get Dialog boxes to work from resource files.  I am an
experienced X and
Unix programmer, but have not done anything with NT before this.  I put
the example
from a book in, and can't seem to get a dialog box to pop-up.  I put in
some commands to
display all messages sent to the call back function for the dialog box,
and all its getting are
a pair of DestroyWindow messages?  The return code for the CreateDialog
is 0.

I have tried using windres --> it complains about syntax errors in my
..rc file?
I have tried using RC + res2coff --> no errors, just no dialog box.

Questions:
   1) Under Unix and X, I was able to get information about what went
wrong.  Perror
       and XErrorHandler at least gave me a lead about what was going
on.  Is there any
       equivalent functionality for NT?  gdb didn't want to trace the
call since it didn't
       have source for the appropriate dll's.

    2) How does the resource information effect the operation of the
program?  Is it
        compiled in as code that is doing a lot of the grunt work for
me?  (For example,
        it seemed like it would be pretty easy to write a perl script
that converted some
        of the basic menu resources into a C function that did the
initialization).  Is
        this what is happening with resources?

    3) Any suggestions about what I can do to get dialog boxes to work?

    4) Is windres supposed to be compatible with RC or are they using
different language
        syntax?

Thanks very much for any help.  I would be game to try and debug this
further, but I wanted
to see what information was available since for something so basic, I
can't believe I am the
first one to encounter it.

Chris

--
Christopher Donham
Silicon Graphics, VSG                             Phone:  (415) 933-2474
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd MS 43U-993                 FAX:    (415) 932-2474
Mountain View, CA 94043-1389                      E-Mail: [email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".