Subject: RE: Yes! A _new_ inetd problem!
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

3 Jun 1998 13:22:36 -0700
Message-ID: <01BD8F01.D05A25B0.cygnus.gnu-win32@sos>
To: "[email-masked]"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "'Todd P. Whitesel'"
	 <[email-masked]>

Todd P. Whitesel wrote:
> inetd runs great. It took me a little while to realize it didn't care 
about
> /etc/inetd.conf, and only looked at /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf. That was 
when
> I changed most occurrences of "root" to "toddpw" (me).

Inetd uses hardcoded during configuration/compilation paths.

>
> telnetd consistently says "Login incorrect" no matter what I try.
>

The account inetd runs have no neccessary rights.

> rlogind consistently causes my solaris rlogin to print "Connection 
closed.",
> and dumps core ("in.rlogind.exe.core") into inetd's working directory.

Neither rlogind, nor rshd shouldn't work because authentication method is 
not compatible with NT's security model.

> ftpd works, but if I change my /etc/passwd login shell, e.g. to /bin/bash
> -- it blew me off with "530 User toddpw access denied." until I changed 
it
> back to /bin/sh.

man ftpd :-)

> Actually, could somebody just explain what exactly the text!=binary 
setting
> affects? Does it simply cover the behavior of fopen() without "b" or is 
it
> something more convoluted, like altering the behavior of read() and 
write().
>

If you fopen() a file without "b", or open() without O_BINARY, all read 
calls will remove \r after \n and all write calls will append \r to every 
\n.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".