Subject: WIN32on UNIX?
From: [email-masked] (Stephen Greenberg)

29 May 1998 02:28:04 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

As an integrator of Thin Client and UNIX-NT solutions we are looking for

an alternative solution to presenting WIN32 applications to the UNIX
desktop. Currently, we are using variations of Citrix Winframe and
Microsoft Terminal Server (beta) technologies for this purpose, however,

there are a growing number of issues with these solutions for UNIX
environments. If you are not familiar with this products, they are
multi-user versions of WIN NT that allow NT user sessions to display on
UNIX desktops.

We are currently evaluating a product called "LiftOff" from New Moon
which distributes WIN32 execution by intercepting API calls on the host
server and re-directing them over the network to be executed on client
systems. This is an intriguing approach to distributed processing,
however, it requires that the client system be able to execute the full
functionality of WIN32. Currently, only WIN9x and WINNT can successfully

act as clients to this WIN NT application server approach.

(This is a link to info on the product)

http://www.newmoon.com/company/press_room/press_releases/pr_05-05-98.html

My question is if there is a way to allow a UNIX desktop to act as a
full WIN32 client, i.e. receive the API calls from the Windows
application server and execute them locally. Any information, thoughts
or speculations are appreciated!

Thank You in advance...

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
15111 N. Hayden Rd #160-107
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(602) 432-UNIX
(602) 483-7570 fax
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".