Subject: Re: Another newbie onboard...
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

28 May 1998 00:07:22 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Harry Putnam <[email-masked]>
Cc: gw32 <[email-masked]>

Hi Harry,

---Harry Putnam <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke) writes:
> Running CDK.exe with b19.1 update on Win95 OSR/2
> 
> Butting in here because this looks like the kind of stuff I've been
> wondering about too.
> > 
> > You can either start bash and enter
> >         umount / && mount -b <cgynus-path> /
> > which remounts your root directoy only in binary mode or
> > run regedit, search for
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL
setup/b15.0/mounts
> > and change [0-9][0-9]/fbinary from 0 to 1
> 
> What is the advantage of doing either of the above.  It seems Cdk.exe
> will install and run without doing either.  Or does the install do one
> of above. 

The installation default is text!=binary.  This allows for the Win32
system default; ie: when you open a file without specifying the mode
then you get text mode.  UNIX on the other hand defaults to
text=binary; ie: when you open a file without specifying the mode then
you get binary mode.  Having the ability to change between the two
formats makes porting UNIX code easier but not necessarily correct. 
It is currently my belief that code that _ASSUMES_ the default mode is
always going to be as expected is in trouble and should be changed. 
For the purest _INTERPORTIBILITY_ you should _NEVER_ depend on defaults.

> 
> > >Secondly, environment variables.  Every other post I see regards
someone
> > >suggesting that someone else add environment variables or adjust
them.  Can
> > >someone please clarify it all to me by sending or pointing me to
some useful
> > >.bash_profile and .bashrc files?
> 
> Yes the discussion about ENV variables is confusing,
>  
> > Just have a look at <cygnus-path>/cygnus.bat - it contains
everything
> > you may need ! If you want, you can put these env vars to your user
> > environment, so you don't have to always run cygnus.bat.
> 
> So should ENV variables such as PS1 settings be but in cygnus.bat? 
I've
> made a .bashrc file and installed in dir that bash sees as home but it
> is ignored unless I manually 'source' it from the command line. Same
> goes for .bash_profile.  I am putting some ENV Variables in
autoexec.bat
> (PATH and HOME). That seems to work but I don't really understand the
> syntax that win95 wants.
> 
> Will mounting a '/' cause bash  to read from .bashrc / .bash_profile
> when I start a bash window?   Is the syntax the same as on linux
machines?
> 

You need to set from DOS:
SET HOME=<path to .bashrc>

rem ember: Choose one of the SET CYGWIN32 options below.  To change
from one to
rem        the other move the "rem " in front of the SET CYGWIN32.

rem ember: "SET CYGWIN32=tty binmode" is for interaction with
CYGWINB19.DLL
rem        dependent binaries.
SET CYGWIN32=tty binmode

rem ember: "SET CYGWIN32=notty nobinmode" is for interaction with
rem        NON-CYGWINB19.DLL dependent binaries.
rem SET CYGWIN32=notty nobinmode

As for PATH, it depends on if you wish to use the toolset under DOS or
not.  If you plan to be able to do something like "ls -l" from the DOS
prompt then set the PATH variable from DOS otherwise do it from the
profile file.

Most environment variables tend to be tool dependent.  Something like
PS1 is a BASH variable so you can easily just set it in the profile
file.  Something like VERSION_CONTROL is tool specific and if you plan
to use the tool in DOS needs to be set there.

You need to read the bash.info file for a full understanding of what
initialization files get read when.  If you "bash --login" then the
profile file will be read and not the .bashrc file.  If you "bash"
then the .bashrc file will be read and not the profile file. 
Environment variables are passed to child processes, aliases are not. 
The .bashrc file will be read by the child processes so put the
aliases here.  Also, do a "source ~/.bashrc" file from the profile
file to set the aliases for the initial process.  NOTE: it is a waste
or processing time to put the setting/exporting of variables in the
..bashrc file as the child processes already have them set and the
child process will always read the .bashrc file.

<snip>

I hope this helps.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/ 
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://minimike.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".