Subject: Re: Another newbie onboard...
From: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)

27 May 1998 05:42:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi Harry,

[...]
>What is the advantage of doing either of the above.  It seems Cdk.exe
>will install and run without doing either.  Or does the install do one
>of above.

This is a discussion, we had a few times in the last months, so I won't
repeat everything from there, but binary mounts are mainly to provide an
emulation layer, that is as close to Unix as possible.
So, if you want to port Unix software to Win32, you should use binary
mounts, if you want to write native Win32 software, probably you won't
need them.
If you want to use a few of Sergey's ports, though, you have to have
binary mounts, as he stated on his homepage.

[...]
>So should ENV variables such as PS1 settings be but in cygnus.bat?  I've

You can have them there, you also can have the most important there and
all the others on a .bashrc. For a .bashrc to work, you then have to set
HOME correctly in your cygnus.bat.
If you have Windows NT, you can use the User Environment instead of a
cygnus.bat - same for an autoexec.bat in Windows 95.

[...]
>(PATH and HOME). That seems to work but I don't really understand the
>syntax that win95 wants.

Which syntax ?
set var=value ? Or am I misunderstanding you ?

>
>Will mounting a '/' cause bash  to read from .bashrc / .bash_profile
>when I start a bash window?   Is the syntax the same as on linux machines?

No - mounting / has nothing to do with a .bashrc !
..bashrc is read from wherever HOME points to - this is the same as on
Linux. The syntax of mount isn't the same as on Linux, though.

[...]
>What exactly is a 'binary mount'?  Having read in Linux and Unix
>Newsgroups and lists for some mnths I've never ran across this term before.

See above - there is nothing the like on a Unix system, because they are
only there to emulate Unix on Win32.

[...]
>I'll bet there are some gnu-win32 users who have websites where some
>config files can be viewed.  Anyone have handy URLs?  Some similar and
>related examples are available at the ntemacs site.

I don't think, there is something like that, but you can search for some
posting from Earnie Boyd, who has a list of quite useful links in many
of his mails.

[...]
>
>Harry Putnam  [email-masked]

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:[email-masked]
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".