Subject: Virtual Memory during Compile
From: [email-masked] (William M. Mullins)

27 May 1998 01:00:46 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "\"[email-masked]\"" <[email-masked]>

Sirs:

Again the question about memory allocation.

Running NT4 SP3 64MB RAM + 260MB Pagefile

b19 + 14May98 coolview  all binary mounts and a "binary pipes" version
of bash with bash as sh
egcs 1.0.2 with gas et al.

trying to build octave 2.0.13 ... everything works perfectly (configure,
make ...) until

c++ -c  -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -I../glob
-I../glob
 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
-fno-implicit-templates -g
-O2 -Wall load-save.cc
(d:\gnu\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\egcs-2.90.27\cc1plus.exe
13728
) commit_and_inc: VirtualAlloc failed
load-save.cc: In function `class octave_value_list Fload(const class
octave_valu
e_list &, int)':
load-save.cc:1631: virtual memory exhausted
make[2]: *** [load-save.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

following this with a

cd/src
c++ -c  -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -I../glob
-I../glob -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
-fno-implicit-templates -g -O2 -Wall load-save.cc

and the file compiles

returning to make and things run sweetly until

c++ -c  -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -I../glob
-I../glob
 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
-fno-implicit-templates -g
-O2 -Wall builtins.cc
(d:\gnu\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\egcs-2.90.27\cc1plus.exe
14363
) commit_and_inc: VirtualAlloc failed
builtins.cc: In function `void install_pt_fcn_fcns()':
builtins.cc:207: virtual memory exhausted
make[2]: *** [builtins.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

In this case, closing everything I can find to free up memory will not
allow compilation.  Firing up "tast manager" and looking at memory usage
.... the compilation appears to fail  when the memory usage approaches my
64MB RAM limit.

Bumping my system up to 128MB of RAM appears to be the short-term fix,
but this leads to questions about the cygwin virtual memory allocation
modules.

Has anyone else seen anything like this or am I weird?

W. M. Mullins

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".