Subject: Re: Another newbie onboard...
From: [email-masked] (Harry Putnam)

26 May 1998 00:21:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

[email-masked] (Michael Hirmke) writes:
Running CDK.exe with b19.1 update on Win95 OSR/2

Butting in here because this looks like the kind of stuff I've been
wondering about too.
> 
> You can either start bash and enter
>         umount / && mount -b <cgynus-path> /
> which remounts your root directoy only in binary mode or
> run regedit, search for
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL setup/b15.0/mounts
> and change [0-9][0-9]/fbinary from 0 to 1

What is the advantage of doing either of the above.  It seems Cdk.exe
will install and run without doing either.  Or does the install do one
of above. 

> >Secondly, environment variables.  Every other post I see regards someone
> >suggesting that someone else add environment variables or adjust them.  Can
> >someone please clarify it all to me by sending or pointing me to some useful
> >.bash_profile and .bashrc files?

Yes the discussion about ENV variables is confusing,
 
> Just have a look at <cygnus-path>/cygnus.bat - it contains everything
> you may need ! If you want, you can put these env vars to your user
> environment, so you don't have to always run cygnus.bat.

So should ENV variables such as PS1 settings be but in cygnus.bat?  I've
made a .bashrc file and installed in dir that bash sees as home but it
is ignored unless I manually 'source' it from the command line. Same
goes for .bash_profile.  I am putting some ENV Variables in autoexec.bat
(PATH and HOME). That seems to work but I don't really understand the
syntax that win95 wants.

Will mounting a '/' cause bash  to read from .bashrc / .bash_profile
when I start a bash window?   Is the syntax the same as on linux machines?

> >
> >Thirdly and a rabbit trail, I have been attempting to get SSH up and running
> >however I never get entering my password before it bombs out; some how I
> >feel this is related to the binary mounts thoughà
> 
> This is related to non binary mounts and to the CYGWIN32 env var, which
> should contain at least "tty" !

What exactly is a 'binary mount'?  Having read in Linux and Unix
Newsgroups and lists for some mnths I've never ran across this term before.

> >
> >I guess what I really need or desire is to see what a real world running
> >install LOOKS like.  I mean the whole nine yards. That way I can have
> >something to compare myself to.  Anyone have a sacrificial machine lying
> >around they can stick out there and let a few newbies telnet in and look at?
> >This could save me an enormous amount of time asking questions,
> >experimenting, etc.

I'll bet there are some gnu-win32 users who have websites where some
config files can be viewed.  Anyone have handy URLs?  Some similar and
related examples are available at the ntemacs site.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html 

I had Emacs installed before installing CDK.exe and was pleasantly
surprised when Cygwin used the Same HOME var setting from autoexec.bat,
and caused some previously non-working items in Emacs to start working.
The 'compare' function relies on unix 'diff'.  And most of the 'dired'
functions didn't work previous to installing CDK.exe.  Once the path to
those Unix tools was set in autoexec.bat, then Emacs 'dired' started
working.  Cool!

-- 

Harry Putnam  [email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".