Subject: RE: Win 95 Freeze Fix Confirmed
From: [email-masked] (Joe Soroka)

20 May 1998 23:50:12 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <BB19A85E3397D11190EA00805F570387776E@PDX1NT02>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Jeff Paulsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 11:26 AM 5/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> From: Geoffrey Noer [mailto:[email-masked]]
>> I can confirm that installing the USB update patch from Microsoft
>> fixes the Win 95 freeze problem visible when control-C-ing in B19
>> bash.  (I think you need to be running OSR2 to install the patch).
>
>Forgive my newness... I am running Cygwin32 b19.1 on Win95, and
>experience a good solid freeze (I can move the mousepointer and press
>Ctl-Alt-Del repeatedly to reboot, but that's all) after 3 to 30 commands
>when running bash. This prevents me from compiling XEmacs, or anything
>else for that matter. Does this sound like the freeze problem of which
>you speak?

That's exactly the type of problem I was having.  I've been looking around
a lot since posting my findings last week.  It seems that there are quite a
few versions of the file USBSUPP.EXE floating around the net.  I used one
from MSDN dated Friday, April 11, 1997 1:21:52 AM, size 964,960 bytes,
version 4.03.1214...  I could not any files matching these exact specs
anywhere on the internet, but..

Supposedly this patch is not directly available from Microsoft, for
endusers anyways.  One can find similar files by using archie or
http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no and searching for USBSUPP.EXE..  A good genealogy
of all the versions of Windows 95 and what patches apply to which versions
is available at http://www.walbeehm.com/win95upd.html and it has links to
places where one could download a USB patch.

As always, your mileage may vary.  I can't find the exact file that I used
anywhere on the internet, but I'm guessing that the best approximation can
be found in the links at walbeehm.com.  Perhaps Geoffrey Noer could give us
some detail on which version(s) he used to confirm the solution.

Also everyone should note that I don't have any USB ports or devices, so
obviously the USB patch does more than add USB support. :)  Just in case
anyone is thinking "USB patch? That doesn't apply to me."

joe soroka.
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".