Subject: permissions problems on NTFS?
From: [email-masked] (Andy Mortimer)

20 May 1998 19:15:39 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Dear all,

I've been having a bit of a problem recently with permissions for
files on an NT4 box with NTFS, and I wondered if anyone here had any
similar experience. (This is b19 with Sergey's latest (now slightly
hacked!) and egcs).

I've got around it for now by removing the test which disables
checking for #! magic on NT (fhandler.cc line 1070ish, in
fhandler_disk_file::open). But it seems that I shouldn't have had to
do this.

The problem was with a script called "ntcc" (not that it really
matters), where doing a "chmod +x ntcc" or "chmod a+x ntcc" or "chmod
755 ntcc" didn't set the execute permissions correctly (as shown by ls
-l), and so the script wasn't being found on the path.

If anyone has ideas as to further avenues of investigation, this might
be useful. I'm sure it's something I've done -- it used to work,
although I did have to reset them every time I saved from Emacs, and
I can't remember doing anything to stop it -- but I'd still like to
get it sorted out.

Thanks,

Andy
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".