Subject: Re: Unix-like in the DOS family
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

20 May 1998 16:22:20 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked] (Henry J. Cobb)
Cc: [email-masked]

Henry J. Cobb wrote:
[...]
> What is needed is to provide the tools of a Unix development environment
> in such a way that they can be blended in with the native NT tools.

This is in fact what is in progress.  In the future, the base
development tools are going to be more much more native-Win32 oriented
in their scope (the first thing is to do away with Cygwin32
dependencies in the binaries that the compiler generates).  You
can get quite a bit of the way there with Mingw but that's really only
part of the picture.  We need to continue to improve gcc/VC++
interoperability, straightening out the ld/dlltool situation, improve
the Win32 native support in gdb, etc...  This is Cygnus' expertise
(Cygnus employees contribute roughly 75% of changes to gcc and close
to 90% of changes to the other GNU development tools).  The Win32 host
is important enough that I expect progress will be made...  :-)

Regards,

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".