Subject: drand48 et al. in gnu-win32's libc?
From: [email-masked] (Christian Joensson FOA 72)

20 May 1998 10:29:26 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

I'm interested in ``porting'' some software from the UNIX to the NT using some 
variant of the gnu-win32 compilers, i.e., cygwin32, mingw32, egcs/cygwin32.

There is a specific problem I have, I need the drand48 and friend functions. I 
know that they are considered ``poor'' by some and should be replaced by ither 
``better'' random number generators. This is not an issue for me...

I'd like to have access to the drand48 et al. through ordinary linkage, 
preferably in libc. I find that the glibc for my Linux Intel box does have the 
drand48 et al. functions so a bold suggestion would be to ``take'' the code 
and lift it into gnu-win32's libc, right? Oh, I do realize that it is quite 
tricky and that someone has to find the time to do it, but anyhow, I'd like to 
find it sometime in the future...

Perhaps someone else on the list has had similar thoughts and perhaps come up 
with an approach/solution?

If I can't find it in libc, I could do with a ``separate'' librarry (a dll?) 
that would do the job, but really, I'd like to see it in libc...

Crazy idea, right? Go look in dejanews for people wanting this under Win NT...

Please forgive my ignorance concerning development of gnu-win32 and please 
don't ``flame up'' because of this.

Hope to get some kind of constructive feedback. Cheers,

/ChJ

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".