Subject: Threadbare threads using WM_FORK message?
From: [email-masked]

20 May 1998 06:17:48 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

One way to implement a thread in more recent versions of Windows
is to use SendMessage to initiate that thread.  You define a
WM_USER message called WM_THREAD, then subclass the main window
to include a WM_THREAD case.  The LPARAM of SendMessage then carries
a two-element structure containing the entry point of the thread
function and its parameter list.

Waiting for the thread to complete then involves testing for some
completion criterion while performing a PeekMessage loop.  This, of
course relies on the alleged pre-emptive multitasking of recent
Windows releases.

This won't work in the Microsoft console window, because of imposed
limitations, but any emulation of such a text window would work.
Œ
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".