Subject: RE: Bug in find?
From: [email-masked] (Edward Avis)

18 May 1998 18:24:03 -0700
Message-ID: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
To: "'Brian D. Carlstrom'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>

>I made the observation that find was not descending into directories
>that had a repeated path segment such as findlosage/quux/foo/foo or
>findlosage/quux/foo/quux. This was running the find starting in the
>findlosage directory.

This is because of the simulated inode numbers.  These are calculated
based on the directory name, and hence foo/bar has the same inode number
as foo/bar/bar.  On Unix, it makes sense for find to skip a directory if
it has already seen that inode - but it gets confused on Cygwin32.

AFAIK, this problem is not as bad on B19, because the whole path is used
to seed the inode number, not the leafname.  So if you're running B18,
I'd suggest moving to the newest version (and coolview, etc.)

--
Ed Avis <http://members.tripod.com/~mave>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".