Subject: List-server archives
From: [email-masked] (Harry Putnam)

18 May 1998 09:52:44 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Just recently started reading this list, so asked the list server for 2
mnths back messages.  They came promptly as have any other requests I've
made to the list server ([email-masked]).  Very efficient, 
And thanks to list owner.

The messages are not in standard unix message format.  so could not import
them into any of several news and mail readers (Gnus  forte-agent)

The normal second "From" field found at the beginning of unix format
messages ( the one with no colon) is preceded by a (>) quote character,
like so:
>From [email-masked] Wed Apr 29 15:38:03 1998
Unix format has no (>) preceding the 'From'.
Is this some other kind of format that can be easily imported as single
messages?

I finally put the 32,000+ line file  in emacs and stripped all the
(>)characters from the "From" fields with "query-replace-regexp" and was
then able to import the file and seperate the individual messages. As unix
format.

Probably did unnecessary work on this -- is there some other handy way to
import these archive files and split them into seperate messages?
-- 

Harry Putnam   [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".