Subject: Re: IPC for Win32
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic LANGE)

16 May 1998 15:59:58 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Cygnus Mailing List <[email-masked]>,
        Philippe CHAPUY <[email-masked]>

Hello,

> Does this package require that once I write an application that uses these
> IPC functions, I also include the IPC-Daemon?  I saw it mentioned in the
> readme file.

 Yes, these IPC functions are not included in the cygwin32 ".dll" file. So
they need that this daemon 'ipc-daemon.exe' shall be included and runned
before you access any IPC function. This ipc-daemon is a console-less
application, so you can start it up at boot time. (you'll have to comment out
a "printf" function in the main() function, because when it loads ok, the
daemon says "daemon loaded ok..." which can annoy you at boot. Please do.)

This package is just a temporary way to have IPC running with CygWin32. It is
nothing more than a "quick and dirty" hack, in no way optimized, but it works.
As the header files are quite standardized (they originally come from Linux I
have been told) this allow our projects to compile and run with CygWin32.

When CygWin32 have the native IPC support, this package won't be useful any
more, and your application will have to be relinked (compilation should not be
necessary...)

Please Note that I do NOT plan to hack the CygWin32 tree in order to give it
native IPC support : I have far too much work for the moment. If the situation
had not changed in 3 or more months, I'll consider the question...

--
--- Ludovic LANGE
--- Ingénieur d'études chez Cap Gemini Telecom France
--- mailto:[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".