Subject: Re: Win95 Lockup's
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

16 May 1998 06:34:00 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Morten Skaarup Jensen <[email-masked]>
Cc: gw32 <[email-masked]>

This suggestion is to help prevent the Win95 Lockup's and may or may
not work for you, or it may only slow the rate of occurance.

1) Make sure that you get the latest updates, in particular, check
Sergey Okhapkin's page (http://www.lexa.ru/sos) periodically for new
revisions to the cygwinb19.dll.

2) Get rid of all b18 executable and the b18 cygwin.dll.  Mixing the
b19 and b18 executables will make you headaches worse.  Also, have
only ONE copy of the cygwinb19.dll on your path.

3) Before starting bash, make sure that the CYGWIN32 environment
variable contains "tty".  I suggest that you modify the cygnus.bat
file to set the CYGWIN32 like so:  SET CYGWIN32=tty notitle binmode

4) If you ever do ^C then exit bash and the process before executing
anything else.  Based on MS documentation the ^C creates a thread to
handle the ^C.  We know that the cygwinb19.dll is not thread safe. 
Therefore, it is best to get rid of the process with the unsafe
thread. (Someone said that this doesn't happen with the cygwinb19.dll;
however, since it is incorporated into Win32 I don't see how it can be
prevented; especially on Win95.)

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
your using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".