Subject: Re: B19; supporting a DOS-path such as C:\a\b\c;C:\d\e\f;D:\g\h
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

16 May 1998 05:05:06 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Chris Callsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Let me first say that I like using bash on windows (cmd.exe makes me
>insane). Naturally, bash uses a Unix-style PATH for finding things.
>However, when bash runs "native" Windows applications these see a
>Unix-style PATH but expect a DOS style path. An example of this would be
>'nmake', or the Microsoft Tools (C compiler, linker, etc).

cygwin32 changes the PATH environment variable into native Windows format
before every program invocation.  That means if you set your PATH
to '//c/bin;//c/windows/system' and run a non-cygwin32 program, the
program will see 'C:\BIN;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM' as the value of the PATH
variable.

If you are seeing any other behavior than this, then you're seeing a
bug.  Please document the specific misbehavior and I'll try to fix it.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada