Subject: B19: Solution for spaces in pathname
From: [email-masked] (Bob Brown CSC)

16 May 1998 01:20:03 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Cygnus Solutions,

In your FAQs for Cygwin 32 you have the following sub-paragraph:

My path has filenames containing spaces in it

This is not supported by Cygwin32. You should change your path so it
does not contain spaces.

Our path had spaces and obviously would not work.  In the cygnus.bat
(which starts up the BASH shell), it contained the following lines:

SET PATH=e:\cygnus\b19\h-i386~1\bin;%PATH%
bash

To allow for paths which DO contain spaces, all you need to change is to
add double quotes (") around the %PATH% portion of the line, so that it
looks like:

SET PATH=e:\cygnus\b19\h-i386~1\bin;"%PATH%"
bash

This allows for spaces in the present path name.  It also works if there
are no spaces in the present path.  In addition, the lines could have
been created as:

SET PATH="e:\cygnus\b19\h-i386-cygwin32\bin";"%PATH%"
bash

But that is trivial.

With this fix, the FAQs can be updated as well as fixing the cdk.exe
program so that it always places double quotes around the %PATH% phrase
so that it obviates the need for this section in the FAQs.

Hope this is helpful.

Robert Brown
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".