Subject: inetd failure
From: [email-masked] (Ian Collins)

14 May 1998 09:58:12 -0700
Message-ID: <F3332E1142DFD111873E0000F879A2BA0FACC7.cygnus.gnu-win32@NTMAIL>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "'Gnu Mailing list'" <[email-masked]>

I am using inetd for starting my application on request.
I have an entry in the c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\services file as
follows,

kidd tcp/2326 # My ISAM Database Daemon

and an entry in the /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf file as follows,

kidd stream tcp nowait root /usr3/ian/kids/kidd kidd

The inetd service has been started and for awhile everything works OK.
(i.e, the kidd program starts and runs as intended).
However, after a few few runs, when I try to connect to the above
service I get "Connection Refused".
At this point, inetd will not start anything (e.g, telnetd).
Starting and stopping the inetd service doesn't help, but rebooting does
(ad nauseam).
I have not been able to isolate any difference between when the service
starts and when all of a sudden it refuses to start.

I have also noticed the following entry in the NT event application log.
There is one of these entries for each (non internal) service in the
inetd.conf file. When I wrote this, I had commented all but the kidd and
telnetd services from the inetd.conf. Every time I connect using kidd,
the following error is generated in the log,

The description for event id ( 0 ) in source ( telnetd ) could not be
found. It contains the following insertion string(s): telnetd: Win32
Process ID = 0x2D : Cygwin32 Process ID = 0x3F0 : ttloop: peer died:
error 0.

Any ideas? 

Ian Collins. 
KIWIPLAN NZ.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".