Subject: Re: CygWin32 and Linux
From: [email-masked] (Joop van de Wege)

13 May 1998 17:25:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

On Fri, 8 May 1998 18:00:49 +0100
Edward Avis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >In terms of overlap with Linux, there isn't a lot of potential sharing
> >that could be happening I don't think.  A possible exception is that
> >we might want to use RPMs for binary distribution of individual
> >packages.
> 
> IMHO Cygwin32 would become much more popular if it came complete with
> source and binary RPMs of things like Perl, X11R6.3, Lesstif, and so on.
>  I don't know if this fits in with Cygnus' product plans, but it seems
> to me that every Unix-on-NT toolkit around is trying to outdo the others
> by shipping as many utilities as possible in with the package.
> 
> Another advantage would be that pristine sources and a well-defined set
> of diffs for Cygwin32 could replace the current rather chaotic porting
> of programs.  That's not to put down the GNUWin32 package report; it's
> certainly a useful measure, I just don't think it will scale well to
> hundreds of packages.
For an example how things could be organised, have a look at
http://www.ninemoons.com/GG/index.html. Its the main 'GeekGadgets'
page which is a repository of GNU tools, plus a lot more, for the Amiga
and now also BeOS. A CVS repository is maintained for all the packages
and people who want to maintain a package can get write access to cvs.
There are several mailinglists ranging from 'gg' (general), 'gcc' (gcc),
'ixemul' (cygwin equivalent), 'X' (X11R6.3 clients/server), etc Snapshots
 are generated on a regular basis, based on a 3 stage build of *all* the
tools, anyone with the compiler + some extra tools should be able to get
a package, unpack it, run configure and make to get a working executable
tailored to ones own needs.

Right now there is a discussion whether or not to use RPM instead of the
current bootstrap archive in lha format with all the other archives
being tar.gz (mainly because of timestamp problems and lha archives
(Gnat)).

Just my 2 cents,

Joop
----
Joop van de Wege ([email-masked])
Mobile Computing Consultants
+31 (0) 318 553292

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".