Subject: RE: GNU-Win32 distribution question
From: [email-masked] (Kevin F. Quinn)

13 May 1998 07:52:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <c=DK%a=_%p=CD-Danmark%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

On the subject of InstallShield vs RPM et. al., it strikes me
that InstallShield is an MS product that not all developers have,
whereas RPM is distributed under the GPL.  This alone promotes RPM 
over InstallShield for binary distributions, especially for the
additional tools (man, info, less etc).

Having said that, InstallShield makes sense for the initial 
package (CDK).  The "starter for ten" as it were.

With respect to source distributions - I don't see that there's 
anything wrong with the "gzipped tarball" approach.

In summary, I reckon:

InstallShield for the initial package (CDK and usertools)
RPM for binary distributions
..tar.gz for source distributions

Kev.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".